The 2012 International Residential Code and 2012 International Building Code require a drip edge be provided at eaves and gables of shingle covered roof systems. (R905.2.8.5 & 1507.2.9.3)

All buildings with a permit processed date after January 1, 2015, building permits with a number greater than 92113, with a shingle covered roof system will be required to have a drip edge installed at the eaves and gables.  The drip edge installation will be confirmed at the frame inspection of the building and the frame inspection will not be passed until the drip edge is installed.   

R905.2.8.5 & IBC 1507.2.9.3 Drip edge.  A drip edge shall be provided at eaves and gables of shingle roofs.  Adjacent pieces of drip edge shall be overlapped a minimum of 2 inches (51mm).  Drip edges shall extend a minimum of 0.25 inch (6.4 mm) below the roof sheathing and extend up the roof deck a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm).  Drip edges shall be mechanically fastened to the roof deck at a maximum of 12 inches (305 mm) o.c. with fasteners as specified in Section R905.2.5



As of November 1, 2014, the building fee schedule will be changing.  Please see the click on the link for additional information.




Limited License Electricians (LLE)

This type of license will only qualify an individual to do Electrical work in the State of Tennessee.  This does not extend to helpers or assistants of any kind.  The LLE license holder is the only person authorized to obtain a permit.  All personnel doing electrical work where an LLE has obtained the permit must be licensed in their own right.  City of Franklin inspectors may ask for a license if they suspect that the State’s contracting laws are not being followed, and any infractions noted will be reported to the State Licensing Board for action and cited to court as the law allows.  This may also result in Stop Work order at the site or revocation of permits if a permit has been obtained by incorrectly or fraudulently filling out a permit application.  Additionally, any electrical worker hired by an Electrical Contractor and paid with a 1099 must also be individually licensed at a minimum as an LLE.



As of 1 July, 2014, the Building and Neighborhood Services Department will require all residential plans to meet the standards of the Zoning Ordinance in respect to the location of side loaded garages.  If you have questions contact Shanna McCoy at 794-7012 or shanna.mccoy@franklintn.gov


Flood Insurance Changes

In 2012, Congress passed the Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012.  This Act calls for many changes to the National Flood Insurance Program.  Some of these changes have already occurred, while others will be implemented in the coming months.  We are providing you with the information we have been given to date.  Please take the time to look over these documents to see how you may be affected.




The City of Franklin encourages you to register to schedule your inspections online.  It is a very simple process and only takes a few seconds to register.  Once you complete your registration form, it notifies our department and once we complete your registration, you will receive your username and password.  It gives you the ability to schedule up to 5 days in advance.  Please call our office if you have any questions.  To get started just click on the "schedule an inspection form"  to the left of your screen. 


Telephone: 615-794-7012
Fax: 615-591-9066

The Department of Building and Neighborhood ServicesWesthaven Homes
supports the safety and quality of life for the residents and visitors of the City of Franklin through the enforcement of building codes, property maintenance codes, the Municipal Code and Zoning Ordinance.   This department has multiple responsibilities such as:

Our employees are available in the office Monday - Friday, 7:30 am to 5:00 pm to answer your questions and provide as much assistance as possible to help you comply with all aspects of the City's adopted codes and ordinances.  Our inspection staff is also available by appointment to conduct some inspections during non-working hours to minimize the impact on business operations and neighborhoods. 

What does "Building Codes" mean to me?residential construction 2

Today, most of the U.S. is governed by a network of modern building regulations ranging from fire and structural safety to health, security and energy conservation. Public safety is protected by building codes. We all rely on the safety of the structures that surround us in everyday living. We want to know that our homes, schools, hospitals, stores, offices and factories and places of entertainment or dining are structurally safe.

Building codes are adopted through local ordinances and set minimum safety standards and cover all aspects of building construction, fire, structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems.  Building officials perform inspections to verify that code compliance is achieved.  Building inspections serve only to verify conformity to minimum safety standards and do not guarantee the quality of construction.

What do property maintenance codes mean to me?before picture of code violation



after picture of code violationAfter

Property maintenance codes are intended to secure public safety, health and general welfare of the community.  The City of Franklin has adopted and enforces the International Property Maintenance Code, which governs minimum conditions and responsibilities for maintenance of structures, equipment and exterior property.  The Code provides standards for areas such as sanitation, structural stability, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems, as well as general fire safety.